Tuesday, April 21, 2015

For the final project of the semester, we will be creating spatial experiences on Charlie Parker and bebop jazz. I would like to create an experience that mimics the experience of listening to bebop jazz. Bebop Jazz moves quickly and focuses on improvisation and experimentation with the melody and harmony. It is intricate and asymmetrical and the name is based off of 'scat singing', or nonsense syllables. I would like the spatial experience to reflect this seemingly random yet intentional style of music. 

I would like the space to be set up in a fluid manner. Perhaps starting out with tight passages to push the viewer through into a more open floor plan. This would demonstrate the sense of bebop jazz, a series of passages that eventually lead to an understanding of the melody. I would like the space to include a primary color palette, with subdued undertones that represent that soaring improvisational saxophone melodies paired with the calmer and more tame back up band. I think primary colors give a sense of the art and bebop album covers of the time, as well. 

I am inspired by Basquiat's Trumpet and Horn Players, both of which include jazz instruments and references to great musicians like Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gilespy. The use of color, line, and a rough texture lend to the experience of the viewer. I would like my imagery to reflect this to a certain extent, though perhaps be a bit more refined and subdued so as not to overwhelm the viewer. 









No comments:

Post a Comment